If you have scoliosis, you may experience back pain that can limit your mobility and prevent you from accomplishing certain tasks. At CK Chiropractic Center in Normal Heights, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, and San Diego, CA, we provide various treatments to relieve your discomfort and improve your well-being. Before visiting us for an exam, learn about some symptoms of scoliosis below:
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a spinal disorder that is defined by a sideway curvature of the spine. This curve can be C- or S-shaped. The most common form of scoliosis is idiopathic, which means there is no real known cause for the defect. Some other forms of scoliosis include:
- Congenital Curve — The issue is present at birth
- Paralytic Curve — The muscles in the spine don’t work
- Myopathic Deformity — The muscles don’t work properly
- Secondary Scoliosis — This type of scoliosis occurs from a secondary condition, such as osteoporosis or degenerative disk disease.
What are Some Symptoms of Scoliosis?
If you have scoliosis, you may experience a variety of symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Back pain
- Hip pain
- One shoulder is higher than the other
- A rib prominence
- A lower back hump
- One higher hip than the other
- Protruding pelvis
At our chiropractic office, we use the Cobb Method when diagnosis scoliosis. A positive diagnosis of scoliosis is determined by any curve greater than 10 degrees. Along with that, a curve that is 25-30 degrees is considered significant, while a curve exceeding 45–50 degrees is severe. Our chiropractor will also discuss your symptoms with you and review your medical history. In addition, we will perform a physical exam and do x-rays of your spine.
Treatment for Scoliosis
Our chiropractor utilizes various treatments for scoliosis. Some treatments we may recommend include the following:
- Adult Brace — A brace can help with pain relief, reduce pressure, and improve posture
- Massage Therapy — This treatment can help relieve pressure and offer immediate pain relief for some patients
- Spinal Fusion Surgery — In some instances, surgery will be recommended to correct the spine, which can alleviate your pain long-term and improve your quality of life
Contact us for an Appointment Today!
If you are experiencing symptoms of scoliosis, let our team at CK Chiropractic Center in Normal Heights, Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa, and San Diego, CA, help. While scoliosis is best treated when detected early, we can still treat patients who have advanced cases too. To schedule your appointment, contact our Normal Heights and San Diego office at (619) 280-8383 or our Scripps Ranch and Mira Mesa location at (858) 586-7799 today. When you’re looking for a chiropractor near me, we are ready to assist you!